Published background papers
Background papers help inform the Council’s discussions at the annual Forward Look meeting, and other workshops or roundtables that the Council might organise before initiating a project. Notes of the discussions at Forward Look meetings, workshops and roundtables are also provided here.
The Council’s background papers provide an increasingly valuable resource of publications exploring a range of issues. The papers are either commissioned from academics working in the field or written in-house.
- Artificial Gametes – by Dr Anna Smajdor, Lecturer in Ethics, Norwich Medical School, University of East Anglia and Dr Daniela Cutas, Associate Professor of Practical Philosophy, Department of Historical, Philosophical and Religious Studies, Umeå University, Sweden
- Dual Use in Biology and Biomedicine – by Dr Filippa Lentzos, Senior Research Fellow in the Department of Social Science, Health and Medicine, King’s College London
- Longevity – by Dr Hans-Jörg Ehni, Deputy Director, Institute for Ethics and History of Medicine, University of Tübingen, Germany
- Non-Invasive Prenatal Testing (NIPT): Identifying key clinical, ethical, social, legal and policy issues – by Professor Vardit Ravitsky, University of Montreal, Canada
- Identifying key developments, issues and questions relating to techniques of genome editing with engineered nucleases – by Dr Ainsley J. Newson, University of Sydney, Australia and Dr Anthony Wrigley, Keele University, UK
- Naturalness and unnaturalness in contemporary bioethics: Preliminary background paper – by Dr Anna Smajdor, Lecturer in Ethics, Norwich Medical School, University of East Anglia, UK
- The ethical implications of resource pressures in the NHS (2015 update) – by Katharine Wright, Assistant Director and Tom Burton, Researcher, Nuffield Council on Bioethics
- The ethical implications of resource pressures in the NHS– by Katharine Wright, Assistant Director, Nuffield Council on Bioethics
- Complementary medicine – by Anna Wilkinson, Programme Officer, Nuffield Council on Bioethics
- Sports science and medicine – by Kate Harvey, Senior Research Officer, Nuffield Council on Bioethics
Published in 2013
- Aesthetic/cosmetic procedures – by Donna Dickenson, Emeritus Professor of Medical Ethics and Humanities, University of London, UK
- Expensive life-extending treatments – by Christopher Wareham European School of Molecular Medicine and the University of Milan, Italy
- Medical tourism and cross-border care – by Dr Dominique McMahon, Munk School of Global Affairs, University of Toronto, Canada
- Scientific research integrity – by Marie-Andrée Jacob, Senior Lecturer and AHRC Fellow, School of Law, Keele University, UK
The Council did not hold a Forward Look meeting in spring 2012 as it was completing its Strategic Review at this time and was already committed to a full work programme for the short term. No background papers were therefore published in 2012.
- Germline therapies – by Mark S. Frankel, Ph.D., and Bret T. Hagen, M.S. American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), Washington DC, USA
- Hyper-expensive treatments – by David Hunter, Centre for Professional Ethics, Keele University and James Wilson, Comprehensive Biomedical Research Centre and Centre for Philosophy, Justice and Health, University College London, UK
- Genomics, health records, database linkage and privacy – by Ruud H.J. ter Meulen, Ainsley J. Newton, Mari-Rose Kennedy and Behnaz Schofield, Centre for Ethics in Medicine, School of Social and Community Medicine, University of Bristol, UK
- Pandemics – by Giovani De Grandis, University College London and Jasper Littman, University College London/Health Protection Agency, UK