On 16 December 2016 the Council held a workshop bringing together experts from a range of fields to explore whether or not there may be persuasive reasons to review the legal time limit for maintaining human embryos in culture.
Key issues and questions that were discussed at this workshop included:
- What has the current limit achieved?
- How might scientific opportunities change if the limit was redrawn?
- What is the moral and policy significance of developmental thresholds?
- What is the significance of the international context?
- Whose interests are engaged by this issue?
The workshop was Chaired by Jonathan Montgomery, Chair of the Nuffield Council on Bioethics.
A report of the meeting will be published early in the new year.
Download the agenda for this meeting.