Biotechnology refers to any technological application that uses biological systems, living organisms or derivatives thereof, to make or modify products and processes for specific uses. The interplay between the phenomenon of globalisation and the biotechnology industry raises significant ethical issues.
Read the full briefing here.
- Animals and research
- Artificial wombs (Ectogenesis)
- Building genomes from scratch
- Citizen science
- In-vitro derived gametes and embryos
- Innovative therapies
- Nagoya protocol
- Predicting phenotype from genotype
- Social egg freezing
- Sports science
- Suppressing the extra chromosome in Down’s syndrome
- The human/technology frontier in health and social care
- The human/technology frontier in the wider context
- Whole genome sequencing of newborns